[Workshops] [Take our Survey]
[Mike Hayes Resume and Portfolio] Username: Password: Sign Up!


Arcade in the Sky Blog: Buckaroo Banzai

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Buckaroo Banzai

Another movie I saw finally was Buckaroo Banzai.

I had heard that is was quirky and fun, but I had no idea! If I had seen this movie in my youth, it would have been added to Goonies and Monster Squad as one of my all-time favorites.

The story concerns phenom Buckaroo Banzai, child of an American and a Japanese, who is a both a brain surgeon AND a rocket scientist and loves playing small gigs with his new wave rock band at night. He had a compound that rivals the X-men mansion and has a helpful network of fan called the Blue Blazer Irregulars. (I think this is a nod to Sherlock Holmes' Banker Street Irregulars)

We start out as Buckaroo finishes up some neurosurgery with Jeff Goldblum and asks him to join his A-team. Then he tests a new mach-2 breaking rocket car that has be ability to phase through solid matter. This 8th dimension turns out to be a 'phantom zone' like prison that held an evil general from another world called Planet 10. Buckaroo and his team must fight off the combined power of John Lithgow and Christopher Lloyd to save both the Earth and Planet 10.

The film is dated to 1984 pretty badly, but the quirkyness and fun still shines through. Fans are still strong, and I suggest visiting their website The Banzai Institute

Overall, I give it a thumbs up.
Buzz this

No comments:

Post a Comment