[Workshops] [Take our Survey]
[Mike Hayes Resume and Portfolio] Username: Password: Sign Up!


Arcade in the Sky Blog: HP Blue Screen of Death Fix; STOP: 0x0000C1F5

Friday, December 10, 2010

HP Blue Screen of Death Fix; STOP: 0x0000C1F5

Last week my HP Pavilion dv2000 Vista Home Premium laptop died in the middle of a SP installation. It completely destroyed my PC. After a few days, I gave up on the content and tried to re-install the OS, but found that I couldn't. I could get into the 'system repair' from the start up screen, but the repair always failed.

I had to call up HP and have them send me the recovery disk, as they were not included when I bought the laptop. It cost me $16. Damn them!

After they arrived, I found that they still could not fix the problem. No matter how I started up, the disk could bring up nothing but this blue screen of death. I did find the answer, however! Up in the Windows XP or 2K disk. Boot from those disks and you will be able to format the partition with the OS on it. Keep the separate partition with the recovery information. It's sad that the Vista disks don't include this basic function.

To do this, boot from the XP disk until you get to the list of partitions. Hid D to delete the main partition. After, hit F3 to quit. Do not install XP. Restart with the Vista Recovery Disk 1 inserted. Now you can go through the process of re-installing.

Be prepared to reboot. A lot. Like 7 times.
Buzz this

No comments:

Post a Comment